Friday, August 15, 2008

Exploring the Georgia Coast

Growing up in the Carolinas, I have always enjoyed our beach vacations. From the Outerbanks to Hilton Head Island, we have been bicycling, swimming, and had our share of relaxation. But this year, through a friend's recommendation, we decided to try the Georgia coast.

I love lighthouses and St. Simon's Island was a great start for our trip.



The huge old oaks filled with Spanish moss line the passages along the island.


But it was on Jekyll Island that our daughter, Riley, first met the Atlantic Ocean. Filled with horror tales of how our friends' children cried and screamed on the sandy beach, we set her feet on the shoreline.



And yes, she played and played. Pointing at the seagulls, then at the ocean. She even took a dip in the cool water with mommy. I was able to document it all with my trusty Nikons.
Jekyll Island has a very peaceful driftwood beach via a small hike from the trail well worth the time.


There is something special about the ocean to me. I remember holding my dad's hand wading in the water and asking him how far does the water go? Are there waves miles away from shore? It was these same questions that led me to join the Navy then requesting a sea-going vessel on my "dream sheet". And after over 18 months at sea traveling to the other side of the world, my questions were answered.


Though Riley is only 13 months old, holding her hand I couldn't help thinking about my dad holding mine. And then wondering what questions will she have for me? And will she have the courage to see for herself?



What a great time we had even though it rained a lot. Georgia has a great coastline that we have just begun to explore.


Randy

1 comment:

Mickey said...

Randy,
Nice pictures of Jekyll. Check out the website www.savejekyllisland.org for a wonderful collection of Jekyll photos. I would like to add some of your work to that web site. If you're interested, drop me a line degan@igc.org.

David Egan