Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Thankful Heart

I try to be thankful all year long and not just one day in November. But 'tis the season and I wanted to reflect on these past years.

In 2006, I thought I had it all figured out. A beautiful wife, a loving family, and a growing photography business. Then we found out that a baby was on the way. Since that day, my life has been ever changing and I realize that everything I thought was important before, does not seem to matter now.

I was going through some photos this week when I found some about the childbirth that I'd like to share. I wanted to help remember this miracle season in our life in a documentary fashion. Every Saturday, around 9:30 a.m., Lisa posed for a few dozen photos beside the same window to show the growing baby. Hundreds and hundreds of photographs will be stored to show Riley and maybe her children also.



She was always a good sport about it. She has been photographed more than we can count. We even had a photo session at the zoo on our first real date almost 20 years ago.


And finally the week before the delivery we decided to use the studio setup.



When our little girl was born I continued the photojournalism approach with a stern warning from the staff at the hospital, "If you faint, we can't help you!"
Faint? Me? Why, I helped to deliver a calf at the age of six and I went through the Shellback initiation of crossing the equator in the Navy. I was proud of my steady hand. I even cut the cord while taking photos. We were in the delivery room over 30 hours!


So when asked what am I thankful for, it always begins with our daughter, Riley, the miracle that I watched grow from ultrasound to birth and how she has blessed our lives. I stop and think, "What did I ever do to deserve this wonderful gift?"

What are you thankful for? I wish the best to you and your family.

Randy

No comments: