Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Fireman, His Wife, and a Truck

I have a great appreciation for our servicemen, policemen, and firemen. May I never take for granted those who will give their lives, if needed, to allow us the freedom and protection of living in America. Sailors at sea make great firemen and we were always fire training. I had once thought of continuing on to becoming a fireman when I left the Navy.

When we first met with Jessica and John, they told us of their concepts for their portrait session. John is a fireman and Jessica has carefully planned a portrait of him and a fire truck. She also hoped to have a few together and maybe some in his fireman's suit. Instantly, I was seeing photo ideas so vividly. We mentioned some multiple locations where we could shoot all of their concepts and that we were more than willing to do this type of photography. Her smile said that we were on the same page.

The day for the shoot came and after getting permission for the truck we then had to adjust until the truck returned from a call. So we began with the studio portion of the shoot. I felt the character of the fireman yearned for the harsh one light portrait in black and white.




















Jessica was so much fun in the fireman's suit. With her wonderful smile, she is a natural.




















After a change in clothing, we did the couples photos around the garden pond. Although they have been married a few years, I kept thinking this was an engagement session.


















Finally, a quick drive to the fire station and there she sat all shiney and red! Riley wasn't the only one in the car to say ooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!













One of my favorite photos that I took of my dad is with his tractor. Everyone who knew him agrees that he was himself with his tractors! I then think of John and how he seemed to change, yet, relax in his suit around the truck. Some photographers call this lifestyle portraiture. Whatever the term, there is something nice about having a person photographed around something that they love doing. To me it brings out a trueness of character.














Hopefully, Lisa and I captured this element for Jessica, John, and their families for many generations to come. One thing I know, this day was a blessing to us. We want to thank Jessica for approaching us and offering us this opportunity.

Randy

No comments: